Small Batch Manufacturing & Sewing Trainer Manager
sewing and supervising: 1 year (Required)
Manufacturing: 1 year (Preferred)
Day Shift (Preferred)
Work authorization (Preferred)
Full Job Description
Refugee Artisan Initiative
Small Batch Production and Sewing Training Manager
Location: Seattle, Washington
Part-time hourly 35-40hours per week salary $55,000-$57,000
Refugee Artisan Initiative (RAI) partners with refugee and immigrant women to foster an inclusive, prosperous transition to the United States through artisan skills training and microbusiness development. Founded in 2017, RAI envisions a welcoming global community that values and invests in refugee and immigrant women as they achieve healthy, stable, and fulfilling lives in the Pacific Northwest and beyond. https://refugeesarts.org/
The Small Batch Production and Sewing Training Manager reports to the Director of
Operations and Programs, working as a liaison between the artisans and our clients to facilitate production. Attention to detail and knowledge of construction are important.
Main responsibilities will include:
- Assess sewing skills of potential artisans, onboard and train artisans on sewing projects.
- Manage RAI’s small batch manufacturing operations, sourcing of materials, pricing, product quality, and correspond with our clients, being supported by two sewing production assistants.
- Teach beginner and intermediate sewing workshops.
- Learn and practice lean manufacturing processes
- Manage the design and production schedule of products created by RAI artisans.
- Coordinate work distribution for artisans based on artisan skill level and RAI needs.
- Provide feedback to artisans upon quality check.
- Communicate with artisans for clarification on projects, troubleshooting, etc.
- Manage supportive staff and delegate tasks that need to be completed, i.e. cutting, sample sewing, pattern work, quality assessment etc.
- Gather teaching materials and carry out sewing workshops (1-2 times per week).
- Coordinate with volunteers to help with sewing workshops.
- Mentor RAI artisans and provide feedback on their own sewing projects that they will be selling independently.
- Must have two to three years (2-3) years of experience in project management/apparel/craft making or related experience.
- Must have basic sewing construction knowledge.
- Ability to read and understand patterns.
- Working with variety of levels of sewing skills
- Knowledge of various fabrics, shrink, and garment dye processes and how they impact design.
- Computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Word, are desired.
- Must have strong time management, analytical and organizational skills.
- Must be an effective team player.
- Ability to lift 25 to 50 pounds.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $55,000.00 - $57,000.00 per year
- Paid time off
- Monday to Friday
Candidates will be required to show proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment. Reasonable accommodations will be considered on a case-by-case basis for exemptions to this requirement in accordance with applicable law.
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Seattle, WA 98125: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Preferred)
- Have you had experience in teaching sewing?
- Manufacturing: 1 year (Preferred)
- sewing and supervising: 1 year (Required)